The West Australian: Get Organised

 In In the Media, The West Australian

In this issue of Health & Fitness, Brooke Evans-Butler looks at Getting organised.

“Work and school are about to back for 2019 – the experts in organisation, decluttering and efficiency tell how to have your most productive year yet.

Decluttering and getting organised might seem like impossible tasks if you’re still taking down the Christmas decorations and finding space for thoughtful but unneeded gifts.

But Sara Hall from Finer Details Concierge and Organiser Services says it is a great time to take the step towards a more organised life – and reviewing what you already own is way to get on top of things.

Declutter

“”A good place to start is with storage areas like the garage, shed or central cupboards,”” Ms Hall says. “”As you move forward with decluttering and come across less often used items, you will have space to store them effectively.””

She suggests concentrating on one area at a time, breaking the room down into manageable chunks and grouping like-minded items together.

“”Be strong minded and make truthful decisions,”” she says.

“”Is it really needed or loved enough to take up space in your home or life?””.

Keep on track

Finer Details’ Heather Gibson says there are some simple ways to keep on track.  She suggests:

  • Use the one-in-one-out method: “”Every time something is purchased, you declutter at least one, ideally like-minded item,”” she says.  “”a good instance is shoes.””
  • Use maximum-use containers to help monitor volume: “”for example, allocate a box for memorabilia or toy cars and when the container is full, some have to be removed before more can be added, “” she says.
  • Label electronic cords for new items straight away: “” put in a zip-lock with the manual,”” she adds
  • Have a system for anything new coming into your life (especially paperwork): “”then, work through the backlog.””
  • Keep ‘like with like’.

Tidy-up Tips

Sara Hall and Heather Gibson from Finer Details offer their top tips on starting your organisational journey:

  • Reduce physical items coming into your home and life – can you borrow instead of buy?
  • Declutter regularly.  For example, when summer ends review your summer clothes and belongings – were they used/worn?
  • Use the 80/20 rule.  On average we use 20% of our belongings 80% of the time.  Identify your 20% and make it a priority.  Be realistic with the other 80%”

Read the full article here

 

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

Quick contact
x
quick contact

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

0