Reportedly we are in for a summer sizzler. Not that we usually don’t experience a few days that get a bit unbearable most years but as bushfire season nears if pays to be prepared.
DFES has a very informative website with plenty of information to help you get ready for summer. We have compiled a few quick tips to get you started, especially if you live in a bushland area or there is previous history of fires in your area.
- Check your insurance is adequate for your home, vehicles and other belongings
- Ensure all smoke alarms are in good working order
- Make sure your property is free from overhanging trees and shrubs surrounding your home
- Have a bushfire survival plan – ensure all residents in your home are aware of the procedure
- If your plan includes meeting at a safer place make sure someone outside your family knows where that is
- Prepare a bushfire survival kit – spare keys, phone charger, medication, first aid kit, torch etc.
- Have backup or copies of important documents ready at hand (insurance policy, will, contact numbers etc.) or better still have them stored elsewhere.
- Have some spare can food, water and utensils
- Store sentimental items securely in a fire proof container
- Have the main emergency contacts in your phone with the prefix of ICE (in case of emergency) so others know that is who you wish to be called should the occassion arise
The main focus is personal safety and although property can have much emotions and value attached it is you and your loved ones who are the most precious.
Don’t leave this preparation to the last minute as your families safety are worth more thought.
Our team are a wealth of knowledge on all manner of storage solutions and tips. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and blogs for more Organisation Tips or if you would like friendly professional help organising your home contact us now.