Selling your home can be a daunting exercise.
There is so much to do with possibly a lifetime of possessions and memories to sort, pack and relocate – where do you start?
This is an ideal time to cut through the clutter and make way for new memories.
Removing items that will not serve any purpose in your new home and life.
- Start with one room at a time – do not deviate or progress will be slow
- Have ample supplies of containers, tape, labels. Best to over label contents so you aren’t searching through containers later.
- Clear space to assemble your categories of donate, bin, recycle and keep.
- Two additional categories that may be required are “undecided” (not quite sure what to do with it just yet) and “elsewhere” (items that live elsewhere in your home) – do not get distracted and put away now, leave until you need a break
- Give yourself a time frame to work to – remove any distractions and group memorabilia (photos, letters etc) to go through later.
- If you have large furniture pieces to remove, book the charity collection pick up a couple of weeks in advance or schedule your declutter near verge collection time.
- It is not ideal to have too many helpers as this may result in confusion and possessions being placed in the wrong areas.
- Pack away any items you feel won’t be required prior to your move – use sturdy containers and store out of sight
Now your home will be able to be presented in the best possible light for sale.
Speak to your real estate representative for any suggestions regarding maintenance and home staging that may be required.