Declutter your paperwork
We all have paperwork clutter, junk mail, electronic mail which for some reason we feel the need to print, it just never stops. Our dining tables, kitchen bench, office desk and computers are littered with it all and it can be overwhelming it you let it pile up.
Some simple to tips help you reduce the excess and get it back into being manageable:
- Junk mail whether it be work related or home related should not come into the building/home unless you are really going to reference it, action it within the next 24 hours. When you get your mail from the mailbox, walk past the rubbish bin and dump it. If you want to know what specials are on at the supermarket or discount store jump online, all the information is there on your device when you want it and not cluttering up your home or office?
- Attach a No Junk Mail sticker on your letter box and if they don’t comply, call them. It is not hard to find out which companies deliver in your area as there are only a couple of major players in Perth.
- When you open mail – get rid of the envelope, box and/or wrapping straight away. It serves no purpose to keep it and only adds to things you need to deal with later.
- Have an action station where you pay your bills, reply to correspondence and open your mail there. It takes minutes to schedule a bill payment and file it or shred it.
- Electronic mail is another major headache, there are some great courses to teach you and your staff ways to handle this more efficiently but the basis is the 4 “D” principal. Delete, Delegate, Do it now, Date activate. That way your inbox can stay relatively empty and leave you to concentrate on tasks at hand.
- Stop and think – do you need to print out the email, will you need it as a hard copy? Electronic storage is quicker, easier, paperless and more environmentally friendly.
- Do you subscribe to business or hobby magazines? How often do you reference them? The majority of these are available in an electronic format now so think hard about whether you actually need/use the paper copy and if you could maybe get the information you require online when and if you need to.
The Finer Details team are a wealth of knowledge on all manner of storage solutions and tips. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and blogs for more Organisation Tips and Concierge Services or if you would like friendly professional help organising your life and home contact us now.