How clean is your fridge?
When did you last clean your fridge, microwave or dishwasher?
Do you put away the shopping without first checking what has gone off and/or is rotting?
Spending hard earned $$ on food only to have it sit at the back of the shelf never to be used is equal to throwing your money in the bin.
- Remove all the food in the crisper, if you have two crispers make one for (still able to be used food) in the top and the newer (just purchased) food in the bottom. Mark them if you live with others so they are aware what to use first.
- Clean out with warm soapy water and maybe a hint of vanilla for freshness
- Place non porous mats (maybe unwanted place mats) in the bottom so it is easy to take out and clean
- Wash all new produce store accordingly. Click here for tips.
When it comes to jars and containers of items in your fridge, if you decant food, place a date sticker on it so you know how long it has been there. Remove all out of date items and throw away.
- Use same system as above and when cleaning make sure you get into the small areas where mould can grow
- Store smaller containers in an easy pull out tray or container so small things don’t get lost in the back
- Rotate older items to the front so you use them first.
- Don’t forget to clean the seals and wipe down or vacuum the coils/motor at the back
Likewise Freezers should be checked regularly for out of date items and defrosted to ensure efficiency.
Wash out your microwave regularly at least weekly with soap and water and always use a lid or something to catch splatters when cooking or reheating (paper towel or lunch paper will do).
Dishwasher filters should be checked weekly for food build up and the interior can be cleaned by placing a cup of vinegar inside once a month on full cycle, if you want a nice fresh smell throw some cut lemons on the top shelf.
Our team are a wealth of knowledge on all manner of storage solutions and tips. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and blogs for more Kitchen Organisation Tips or if you would like friendly professional help organising your kitchen contact us now.