This time of year is often used to have an annual holiday and after the hectic year it comes around quickly with little forethought into preparing the home for your absence.
Planning a getaway? Here are a few things to consider if you are leaving your home unattended.
- Security – ensure lights and sensors are working and sensors are turned on. Have light timers on inside the house as well to come on at times you would normally be home
- Spare key – give to a neighbour, friend or concierge service so they can check on things if needed. Another option is to have a portable key safe attached somewhere out of sight
- Reticulation – test and set timers so gardens stay in shape
- Mail – put out a No Junk Mail sign or arrange for Australia Post to perform a temporary hold on your mail while you are away – alternatively delegate someone to regularly empty your mail box
- Cancel any regular deliveries – Newspaper, milk, groceries, water etc.
- Gardener – If you are away more than a couple of weeks ensure your lawns are mowed and the garden doesn’t look un-kept if it is usually neat and tidy
- Bins – make sure they are empty and not overflowing
- Answering machine – have this diverted to your mobile phone or someone else so it is not obvious you are not getting messages
- Fridges/freezers – turn on holiday mode temperatures as they are not getting opened so will freeze up quicker
- Hot water systems – turn off
- Put away out of sight anything that could be used to access your home – ladders, tools. garden furniture etc.
- Leave your itinerary and accomodation with someone
If you focus on a few things each week it will not be as stressful as trying to do too much or leaving it all until the last minute. You don’t want your precious holiday time to be marred by exhaustion and bad moods.
The Finer Details team have an extensive database of services they can enlist for your tasks. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and blogs for more Organisation Tips and Concierge Services or if you would like friendly professional help organising your life and home contact us now.